The economics of D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Dec 19 16:20:54 PST 2007

One thing that just keeps churning in back of my mind is "how does
Walter do it?"  Given the frantic pace of updates he must be devoting
almost all his time to D.  But D must generate next to no revenue.  And
selling DMC or EUP CDs can't be a huge profit center these days, either.
  I doubt the google ad words on the Digitalmars pages generate much
revenue either.

On the one hand I know it's really none of my business how DigitalMars
stays afloat, but for both current and potential D users, I think
knowing whether D is sufficiently well-funded to stay in it for the
long-haul *is* relevant.

I don't even really care how it's funded, but it would be nice to hear a
reassuring "there's nothing to worry about" from someone in the know.

--bb