The economics of D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Dec 19 18:36:14 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> I don't even really care how it's funded, but it would be nice to hear
>> a reassuring "there's nothing to worry about" from someone in the know.
>
> If Walter were having trouble paying the bills, I imagine he'd be
> spending more time on paying work.  As it is, I believe he's in a
> situation where this isn't a concern.

As it is maybe, but what about the future?
DigitalMars must not be rolling in dough, at least, or else Walter could
hire some helpers rather than doing everything himself.

One thing that concerns me is that the big corporate benefactor that has
swooped in to help other open source languages may never arrive on the
scene for D.  But maybe the big corporate benefactors like Google and
O'Reilly haven't been as important to the continued evolution and
success of Python/Perl/Ruby as I'm thinking.

--bb