The economics of D

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:31:38 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't even really care how it's funded, but it would be nice to
>>> hear a reassuring "there's nothing to worry about" from someone in
>>> the know.
>>
>> If Walter were having trouble paying the bills, I imagine he'd be
>> spending more time on paying work.  As it is, I believe he's in a
>> situation where this isn't a concern.
>
> As it is maybe, but what about the future?
> DigitalMars must not be rolling in dough, at least, or else Walter could
> hire some helpers rather than doing everything himself.
>
> One thing that concerns me is that the big corporate benefactor that has
> swooped in to help other open source languages may never arrive on the
> scene for D.  But maybe the big corporate benefactors like Google and
> O'Reilly haven't been as important to the continued evolution and
> success of Python/Perl/Ruby as I'm thinking.
>
> --bb

I think he'll do fine, perhaps better in some ways without such wealthy
benefactors.  D has lasted this long against all odds: in fact, I think
D has literally bucked the trends, considering it has only an individual
backing it. As to his personal financial situation, I accept that as
being his business, since he has never felt the need to share it :).
One advantage to a lack of outside subsidizing is that D is not
controlled by these external forces (at least, not that I know of :) ).

Mostly, I think D seems to depend on the fan element for it's viral
effect, kind of a slow pervasive bubbling from the bottom up rather than
coercion from the top (companies) down.  To me D represents another
unusual and atypical movement much like Linux was for it's time.  D
likely will follow a similar, albeit slow, growth curve.  I doubt that D
is particularly comparable to any other "hot" language such that we can
otherwise predict its outcome.

-JJR