The economics of D

Peter C. Chapin pchapin at sover.net
Thu Dec 20 04:24:28 PST 2007

dan wrote:

> My only major concern lies in that d isnt open source and is therefore bound to walter.  if he goes, so does D.
>
> Maybe we should get life insurance on him?

Is there any reason (I'm thinking legal, mostly) why someone else
couldn't in principle independently implement a D compiler? The D
community is reasonably large and full of smart people, so I'm sure the
talent exists. Right now the motivation for creating a third party
compiler is low, but if Walter disappeared that might change.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe the D community is already large
enough to be self-sustaining.

Peter