The economics of D

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 07:12:34 PST 2007

dan wrote:
> John Reimer Wrote:
>> One advantage to a lack of outside subsidizing is that D is not
>> controlled by these external forces (at least, not that I know of :) ).
>
> Rare and valuable in this day and age.
>
>> Mostly, I think D seems to depend on the fan element for it's viral
>> effect, kind of a slow pervasive bubbling from the bottom up rather than
>> coercion from the top (companies) down.  To me D represents another
>> unusual and atypical movement much like Linux was for it's time.  D
>> likely will follow a similar, albeit slow, growth curve.  I doubt that D
>> is particularly comparable to any other "hot" language such that we can
>> otherwise predict its outcome.
>
> My only major concern lies in that d isnt open source and is therefore bound to walter.  if he goes, so does D.
>
> Maybe we should get life insurance on him?

Life insurance?  Poor Walter. We're already talking about his demise. :(

Death is inevitable for all, so that does seem to be a more valid
concern as far as D goes, I guess (in contrast to concerns about
financial support).  But I still think there's little to worry about
here since Walter has associates with a keen interest in D, and I wager
he's "covered" in this area.  I doubt D will disappear.  I think what
people are looking for are assurances from Walter, but I don't believe
they are necessary.  The worst that could happen is that D's
specifications will freeze for awhile. ;)

Overall, this seems to become awkward and unfeeling to worry about an
abstract and lifeless entity (ie. D) which has little real worth
compared to the designer himself.

At any rate, somebody will likely take up the baton: D seems to have
become popular enough now. No, I don't think we have to be gloomy about
D. :)

-JJR