The economics of D

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 17:30:09 PST 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:12:34 -0000, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com>
wrote:

> dan wrote:
>> John Reimer Wrote:
>>> One advantage to a lack of outside subsidizing is that D is not
>>> controlled by these external forces (at least, not that I know of :) ).
>>  Rare and valuable in this day and age.
>>
>>> Mostly, I think D seems to depend on the fan element for it's viral
>>> effect, kind of a slow pervasive bubbling from the bottom up rather
>>> than coercion from the top (companies) down.  To me D represents
>>> another unusual and atypical movement much like Linux was for it's
>>> time.  D likely will follow a similar, albeit slow, growth curve.  I
>>> doubt that D is particularly comparable to any other "hot" language
>>> such that we can otherwise predict its outcome.
>>  My only major concern lies in that d isnt open source and is therefore
>> bound to walter.  if he goes, so does D.
>>  Maybe we should get life insurance on him?

My understanding was that the D language specification was open 'source'
but the DMD
compiler itself was not. I was sure I'd read this on the digital mars site
somewhere
but I can't for the life of me find it.

> Life insurance?  Poor Walter. We're already talking about his demise. :(

I can't help worrying that one of the "vote++" people might "go postal"
one day
when the reverse encoding of expanding variadic macro initialisers
features isn't
added to D. Still, I suspect Walter knows someone who owns a big gun
whether
or not he has one himself, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem. :)