Manifest constants using 'manifest' keyword?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Dec 21 21:29:45 PST 2007

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:05:40 +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:
>
>> Derek Parnell wrote:

>>> The adjective 'manifest' in this context means "something whose purpose or
>>> meaning is self-evident". It is a fairly obscure usage of English and not
>>> many native-English speakers would use the term except in academic circles.
>>> It is certainly not in common usage by the average man-in-the-street.
>> I think it's more like these meanings (from dictionary.com)
>>
>> 6. a list of the cargo carried by a ship, made for the use of various
>> agents and officials at the ports of destination.
>> 7.	a list or invoice of goods transported by truck or train.
>> 8.	a list of the cargo or passengers carried on an airplane.
>>
>> I.e. it's something that's embedded in the executable as part of its
>> "cargo".  At least I think that's where the terminology "manifest
>> constant" comes from.
>
> That would be the NOUN manifest and the adjective.

But pretty much any noun can be used as an adjective in English.  And
often the two get so cozy that way they get a hyphen or just get stuck
together:

"Look at that man who is part wolf!" --> "Look at that wolfman!"
"Can I borrow your rings that you stick on your ears?" --> "Can I borrow
your earrings?"
"This is a noun that's used as an adjective" --> "This is a noun adjective"
"A constant that's in the manifest" --> "A manifest constant"

--bb