Manifest constants using 'manifest' keyword?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Dec 21 21:34:55 PST 2007

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> According to phobos changeset 535[1] I guess we have a new 'manifest'
> keyword to define manifest (to be redundant) constants. I really think he
> should went with alias or macro or with other better *existing* keyword,
> but is definitely better than enum.
>
> [1] http://www.dsource.org/projects/phobos/changeset/535

That works for me!  Seems a little quirky, but at least the meaning is
not overloaded or being forced to mean something totally different from
what the dictionary says.  And the historical nod to BCPL is very nice.
  D is getting back to its roots while at the same time breaking new
ground. :-)

(I personally don't see what all the fuss is about not making new
keywords -- as long as they aren't tiny common words like "value" or
"get" ... or "in" or "out" ... ;-) )

--bb