3D Math Data structures/SIMD

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 22 00:54:05 PST 2007

On 12/22/07, Janice Caron <caron800 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It's not obvious to me why the elements should be x, y, z and w. How
> does this generalize? What's the rule? Is it "Start at 'x', proceed up
> the English alphabet till you get to 'z', then after that work
> backwards from 'w' down to 'a'? I don't get it. Seems like an odd and
> arbitrary rule, and also totally English-centric. (Well, we wouldn't
> want to use the Cyrillic alphabet would we? That's foreign!)

I withdraw that last remark. It was uncalled for. I was trying to
posit that there is nothing special about the English alphabet, and
that all Unicode letters are acceptable as identifier names, but I
didn't express that very well, so if I caused any offense, I
apologise.

I still don't see how the rule generalises to N elements though, and
so my question about the rule is still open.