3D Math Data structures/SIMD

Lukas Pinkowski Lukas.Pinkowski at web.de
Sat Dec 22 04:02:48 PST 2007

Janice Caron wrote:

> On 12/21/07, Lukas Pinkowski <Lukas.Pinkowski at web.de> wrote:
>> So you probably don't know much about maths?
>
> I call ad hominem on that one!

I apologize.

> For the record, I have a degree in pure mathematics.

Well, but why do you call the component-wise multiplication nonsense? As a
mathematician you should know that an operator/function is exactly that,
what you define it to be. If I define vector/vector-multiplication to be
component-wise multiplication, then it is component-wise multiplication.

It's just that 3D-programmers agreed to define vector/vector-multiplication
(with the * operator) like this.

> Now, before this
> line of enquiry proceeds any further, I request that in future you
> attack the argment, not the person! Attacking the person is
> unneccessary, irrelevant, and causes flame wars.

Right, I'll be cool :-)