PhobosWatch: manifest => enum

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:09:00 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>>> :(
>> Yeah, I figure I'll get fricasseed over that one.
>
> And rightfully so. This is one of the worse decisions among the bad ones in
> the D history.
>
>> argument is that we already have 3 ways to declare a constant, adding a
>> fourth gets very difficult to justify. As opposed to a minor extension
>> to enums.
>
> Not good enough.

It'll do.  I'd say it's bad, but not that bad (I think "manifest" looked
better, personally -- almost pays to go back in time and start adopting
the ideas that worked several decades ago... if they indeed did work).

Like everything in D, it's one of:

(1) we eventually get used to it
(2) it eventually gets rejected and deprecated by the designer(s)
(3) or d gets abandoned. :-P

This is only a D 2.0 feature, afterall. It doesn't touch v 1.0.

I still think "foreach_reverse" was among the worst... but I guess
everybody has a pet peeve.

If we need to sacrifice "enum" for the sake of a better "const" design,
maybe it's worth it... but this "new" design better be good. :D

-JJR