PhobosWatch: manifest => enum

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 19:23:49 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
>> But then, I'm not sure if you have set goals on how many keywords
>> you're allowed to add per year.  If you have some sort of limit, I can
>> see how you necessarily must show restraint. :)
>
> As I remarked elsewhere, there is no language design problem that cannot
> be resolved by adding more keywords. Just like with aircraft design,
> there is no problem that cannot be fixed by adding more thrust <g>.

LOL!  That's a good analogy... :)  Although, there's probably an equally
astute analogy pointing out the the shortcomings of re-using keywords.
;)  But I still like what you say here.

> D already has quite a lot of keywords. Trying to stem the flood if
> possible is a reasonable goal.

Agreed.

>> My question is: at what point do D keywords reach critical mass (in
>> terms of keyword hijacking for new functionality)?  This seems to
>> happen repeatedly as D struggles to avoid keyword additions... at what
>> /appears/ to be the expense of the programmer.
>
> As I suggested, all the enum enhancements do is remove restrictions
> placed on its use. I don't see how that is costing the programmer.

I guess that's to be found out.

>> This new manifest enum could work and eventually people might just get
>> used to it... but it's so strange, so foreign, and so seemingly
>> inconsistant that I think your betting heavily on the good-graces of
>> your d community (who likely will forgive you and move on).
>
> I think it'll seem strange for about 5 minutes, and then will seem
> normal. After all, that's what happened with the !( ) syntax for
> templates rather than < >.

I hate to be a pushover on this one <g>, but I'll just accept this enum
thing and hope for the best.

>> But I do wonder if this is the case for all those users that are still
>> deciding whether to adopt D or not.  D 2.0 is an indicator of what is
>> to come... so decisions made here are going to speak volumes about the
>> future.
>>
>> I don't know how newcomers would react or what confusion it would
>> cause novices, so I won't use that as argument against it.  But it's a
>> gamble and a seemingly very risky gamble.  Some would say high-risk
>> gambles don't make sense, especially when the payback is nominal.
>
> I would argue it is less confusing than introducing yet another keyword,
> especially a keyword whose usage overlaps 3 other keywords, but only
> time will tell.

I think this is the whole source of the disagreement.  A number of us
were arguing that we think this is more confusing... but I think we'll
survive.

-JJR