Counting keywords

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sat Dec 29 21:27:02 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

>>> Some have also argued that it has too many keywords, period.
>>
>> I have not heard that comment from anyone.
>
> I have.

I have too, like in comments about D from non-D users on Digg.  There
seem to be some people who believe that number of keywords is directly
related to the complexity of a language.  I think the line of reasoning
goes: lisp has like 3 keywords; so if you need more than 3 keywords your
language must be a crappy rat trap caving in under its own complexity.

Some people substitute "C" for "Lisp" or "elegance" for "simplicity".

Anyway, keyword count is a very silly way to choose a programming
language.  I'll give you that lisp is small and elegant.  But once you
get up to a C-ish number of keywords (~70?) there just ain't a whole lot
of difference as long as what you're adding are not commonly used
variable names like 'tmp' or 'value'.

Maybe someone else has better insight into the minds of these "keyword
accountants" but from where I sit it just doesn't make a lot of sense to
obsess over +/- a few dozen keywords in a C-like language.

--bb