Counting keywords

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 23:00:45 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>> Maybe someone else has better insight into the minds of these
>>> "keyword accountants" but from where I sit it just doesn't make a lot
>>> of sense to obsess over +/- a few dozen keywords in a C-like language.
>>
>> By itself, it is not an issue. But it can be an indicator of sloppy
>> design.
>
> Agreed.  And judging a language merely by keyword count is a certain
> indicator of sloppy analysis :-)
>
> --bb

I honestly wonder at what point D is to be considered too wordy? I
suppose it's fair to assume that the critical point is determined by the
designer(s), but I do wonder how any new syntax is ever to be argued in
these forums based on the fact that the designer always brings this
argument into play.  The general impression is "no new keywords allowed"
even when they would seem to be the better option.

Even so, I think new keywords will be added... they are bound to be, but
only of the designer's choice.  Oh well, time for me to let this rather
fruitless discussion rest, I suppose.

I keep forgetting how the circle goes round and round. :)

-JJR