PhobosWatch: manifest => enum

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 30 01:00:28 PST 2007

On 12/30/07, "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote:
>         int x = 42;
>         const auto y = x;       // y is now "const int"

The word "auto" is redundant here.

    int x = 42;
    const y = x;

> (1) It would be even nicer if the compiler could keep track of
> whether there are *mutable* pointers in the struct <snip>

I'm in favor of handing responsibility for that decision to the programmer.

    const T x = whatever;
    auto y = x.dup;

Then it becomes the programmer's responsibility to implement dup for
each type T.

.dup is already built into arrays. It would be trivial for Walter to
supply a dup() function for primative types (dup()ing a const(int)
must yield an int result). For structs and classes, it becomes the
programmer's problem.

I /think/ this will work, and it will definitely work better than
making poor "auto" do different things for each type.