Tango ready?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sun Feb 4 08:38:33 PST 2007

Frits van Bommel wrote:

> Carlos Santander wrote:
>> Frits van Bommel escribió:

>>>  From the download page: "The runtime portion of this release requires
>>> a v1.004 compatible compiler."
>>>
>>> Actually, that's just if you compiler actually *is* DMD, I think. In
>>> object.d, it has the v1.004 modification in a version(DigitalMars), so
>>> I think it'll probably break if used with a v1.004-compatible GDC...
>>> (Presumably this was done because GDC isn't v1.004-compatible yet?)
>>
>> David updated it yesterday. The gdc-0.22-dev branch in svn is up to
>> 1.004.
>
> Then I'm willing to bet it won't work with current Tango unless it for
> some weird reason defines version=DigitalMars when parsing module
> 'object'. If I'm right, one of the error messages will be similar to
> "toobj.c:417: virtual void ClassDeclaration::toObjFile(): Assertion
> `classinfo->structsize == (0x3C+8)' failed." (that's the error DMD gave
> me when I tried to compile with an old object.d, with the line number
> changed to where the assertion is in the current gdc-0.22-dev branch)
>
> Tango's 'object' module is littered with version(DigitalMars) blocks to
> select stuff that changed in v1.004, and which the new gdc presumably
> will need as well.
>
> So in fact the current Tango release requires DMD v1.004 or GDC 0.21.
> Earlier GDC versions may also work if it's runtime-compatible, but
> that's about the extent of Tango portability between compilers at the
> moment.

Yes, we cannot require the user to use a compiler from SVN, neither update
our codebase on it (if for nothing else than mantainance reasons). So the
latest release needs GDC 0.21, and the Tango svn will not be updated until
0.22 is officially released.

We may host contributed patches for those who want to follow the bleeding
edge at all times, though.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net