Why no version number in dmd.zip?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Feb 4 20:45:00 PST 2007

Martin d Anjou wrote:
> Why no version number in filename dmd.zip?
> Why always unzip to dmd/ instead of to dmd-1.004 and so on?
>
> Martin

I like it the way it is because it means you can just do an "unzip here"
  to upgrade.  New releases of DMD come out quite often, but generally
there's not much reason to keep the previous version around.
Regressions are few and juicy fixes and new features are many.  If the
new version happens to break something, reverting to the older version
is also as easy as "unzip here".

Of course that assumes you keep your dmd zips in the same directory
where you have your dm and dmd folders.  For a lot of folks, apparently
that's c:\, but I keep all such things in c:\usr\pkg subdirectory
because I can't stand having bunches of folders and files cluttering up
the root directory.

--bb