writing windows kernel mode code using D?

Mike Carifio carifio at takeout.usys.takeout.com
Tue Feb 6 12:24:54 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Mike Carifio wrote:
>> Can D be used to write Windows kernel mode code?
>
> Sure.

Is that "Sure" as in "Yes, the compiler produces object code that the
kernel can link" or "Sure" as in "Sure, why not? Tell us if you run into
a wall"?

Would garbage collection work for kernel mode memory management?

>> Has someone written a tutorial to get started on this?
>
> I don't think so. Why not keep a notebook of your explorations on doing
> this, and later turn it into an article? It could be a valuable
> contribution.
>
>> In particular, I'm looking for a leg up on the port/miniport
>> remote file system approach on Windows. This is a pretty
>> difficult place to start learning D, but D also looks to be
>> uniquely suited to do it.

Sure. As in "Sure, why not? But I'm not very qualified to write
something like this."

Thanks.