Will there be dmd.deb?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Feb 6 13:23:55 PST 2007

Henning Hasemann wrote:

> But I wondered why theres no one packaging dmd for debian (or other linux
> distributions)?

I've been making RPMS for a while, since 0.109 or something like that...
http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/dmd.spec ("rpmbuild -bb dmd.spec" to build)

> I then looked into license.txt and saw it clearly disallowes any redistribution.
> I think having a packaged version available whould be good for Ds popularity,
> as it makes it very easy to "just try it out", and maybe one or the other
> stumbles upon this in his package list (I found a lot of cool programs like
> this).

Like you say the binary RPM cannot be redistributed, so I've just posted
the package specification to build your own using the official ZIP file.

> So how could that work? Could one get an agreement to just package dmd into debs
> and provide them on a website (either an own one or a provided one by
> digitalmars).
>
> I whould at least be willing to invest time for packing dmd into .debs
> (I dont have any experience in it, but I dont imagine this whould be to hard),
> just I cant guarantee to have the time always available when somebody
> screems for the latest release to be packaged.

You can use my RPM and the "alien" program, if you want a quick start ?

The RPM has some optional stuff to use unittests, warnings or contracts.
But when run normally it just repackages the binaries from the zipfile.
I installed DMD into %{_bindir}/dmd, and Phobos into %{_libdir}/phobos.
For the normal %{_prefix} of /usr, that would be /usr/bin and /usr/lib.

The Phobos subpackage needs to be redone, to allow using Tango instead.
(so that you can install dmd+phobos or dmd+tango, whichever you prefer)

--anders