Alexander Stepanov notes on programming online

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Feb 8 08:35:31 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Maybe this is widespread knowledge but Alexander Stepanov (creator of
> the STL) has some lecture notes online about his take on programming and
> such, including of course a healthy dose of the thinking that went into
> creating the STL.
>
> http://www.stepanovpapers.com/notes.pdf
>
> Was mentioned on another list I'm on.  They look interesting at first
> glance, but I haven't had a chance to look too closely.  Might be
> especially interesting reading for those currently designing standard
> libraries. ;-)

Er, just to make sure that's not taken the wrong way -- by ";-)" I do
*not* mean to suggest that the folks writing Tango are in need of any
design advice.  I just meant that despite referring vaguely to "people
working on standard libraries", I really meant specifically Tango folks,
since everybody knows there's really only one big standard library
project going on at the moment, and it is Tango.  It was a lame attempt
at humor, at best.  Hope nobody took it the wrong way.

--bb