Reviewing Phobos

Howard Berkey howard at well.com
Fri Feb 9 15:02:18 PST 2007

jcc7 Wrote:

> The design (or lack of design) of Phobos can be a controversial topic. For
> example, I think that the Tango project (http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango)
> was started because people being disappointed with Phobos. The Tango developers
> have already given up on getting Walter to improve Phobos -- they just want to
> replace Phobos altogether.
>
> Of course, I'm not involved in the development of Phobos or Tango, so what do I
> know. ;)
>
> jcc7

I don't quite understand the comparison.  Phobos is the D standard library.  It should be as concise and powerful as possible, but it should not be a huge project necessarily.

Tango, on the other hand, is a platform library.  It is more in the vein of, say, the Boost C++ library, from my perspective.  It can be much larger and filled with things you wouldn't normally expect in a good, small std lib.

I could be totally wrong here, but that's how things look to me.  Granted I have been developing in D for less than two months so take my opinions with a large grain of salt :)