DeRailed DSL (was Re: compile-time regex redux)

kris foo at bar.com
Fri Feb 9 21:20:22 PST 2007

> kris wrote:

>>> I saw the request. My problem is that I don't know much about
>>> DeRailed, and that I don't have time to invest in it.
>>

>> You wrote (in the past):
>> ====
>> I think things would be better if we had better libraries and some
>> success stories.
>> ====
>>
>> We have better libraries now. And we're /trying/ to build a particular
>> success story. Is that not enough reason to illustrate some practical
>> examples, busy though you are? I mean, /we're/ putting in a lot of
>> effort, regardless of how busy our personal lives may be. All we're
>> asking for are some practical and relevant examples as to why advanced
>> DSL support in D will assist us so much.
>>

>>> My current understanding is that DeRailed's approach is basically
>>> dynamic, a domain that metaprogramming can help somewhat, but not a
>>> lot. The simplest example is to define variant types (probably they
>>> are already there) using templates. Also possibly there are some code
>>> generation aspects (e.g. for various platforms), which I understand
>>> RoR does a lot, that could be solved using metacode.
>>

>> I read "Possibly there ... Could be solved ..."
>>
>> Forgive me, Andrei, but that really does not assist in comprehending
>> what it is that you say we fail to understand. Surely you would agree?
>> Variant types can easily be handled by templates today, but without an
>> example it's hard to tell if that's what you were referring to.
>>
>> On Feb 7th, you wrote (in reference to the DSL discourse):
>> =====
>> Walter gave another good case study: Ruby on Rails. The success of Ruby
>> on Rails has a lot to do with its ability to express abstractions that
>> were a complete mess to deal with in concreteland.
>> ====
>>
>> On Feb 7th, Walter wrote (emphasis added):
>> =====
>> Good question. The simple answer is look what Ruby on Rails did for
>> Ruby. Ruby's a good language, but the killer app for it was RoR. RoR
>> is what drove adoption of Ruby through the roof. /Enabling ways for
>> sophisticated DSLs to interoperate with D will enable such applications/
>> =====
>>
>> You see that subtle but important reference to RoR and DSL in the
>> above? What we're asking for is that one of you explain just exactly
>> what is /meant/ by that. DeRailed faces many of the same issues RoR
>> did, so some relevant examples pertaining to the RoR claim may well
>> assist DeRailed.
>>
>> Do we have to get down on our knees and beg?
>

> Aw, give me a break.
>
> Andrei

Hrm ...

Perhaps it should be pointed out that some of us are going to great
personal expense and effort to further D in the marketplace. Because of
that, what you read above is both a sincere and honest effort to elicit
concrete assistance based upon relevant claims made (above).

Your response is not quite as helpful as it might be; but then it would
appear to have been intended for other effect? What we really need is
some assistance instead.

Thank you;

- Kris