DeRailed DSL (was Re: compile-time regex redux)

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 22:24:36 PST 2007

> kris wrote:

>>> I saw the request. My problem is that I don't know much about
>>> DeRailed, and that I don't have time to invest in it.
>>
>> You wrote (in the past):
>> ====
>> I think things would be better if we had better libraries and some
>> success stories.
>> ====
>>
>> We have better libraries now. And we're /trying/ to build a particular
>> success story. Is that not enough reason to illustrate some practical
>> examples, busy though you are? I mean, /we're/ putting in a lot of
>> effort, regardless of how busy our personal lives may be. All we're
>> asking for are some practical and relevant examples as to why advanced
>> DSL support in D will assist us so much.
>>

>>> My current understanding is that DeRailed's approach is basically
>>> dynamic, a domain that metaprogramming can help somewhat, but not a
>>> lot. The simplest example is to define variant types (probably they
>>> are already there) using templates. Also possibly there are some code
>>> generation aspects (e.g. for various platforms), which I understand
>>> RoR does a lot, that could be solved using metacode.
>>
>> I read "Possibly there ... Could be solved ..."
>>
>> Forgive me, Andrei, but that really does not assist in comprehending
>> what it is that you say we fail to understand. Surely you would agree?
>> Variant types can easily be handled by templates today, but without an
>> example it's hard to tell if that's what you were referring to.
>>
>> On Feb 7th, you wrote (in reference to the DSL discourse):
>> =====
>> Walter gave another good case study: Ruby on Rails. The success of Ruby
>> on Rails has a lot to do with its ability to express abstractions that
>> were a complete mess to deal with in concreteland.
>> ====
>>
>> On Feb 7th, Walter wrote (emphasis added):
>> =====
>> Good question. The simple answer is look what Ruby on Rails did for
>> Ruby. Ruby's a good language, but the killer app for it was RoR. RoR
>> is what drove adoption of Ruby through the roof. /Enabling ways for
>> sophisticated DSLs to interoperate with D will enable such applications/
>> =====
>>
>> You see that subtle but important reference to RoR and DSL in the
>> above? What we're asking for is that one of you explain just exactly
>> what is /meant/ by that. DeRailed faces many of the same issues RoR
>> did, so some relevant examples pertaining to the RoR claim may well
>> assist DeRailed.
>>
>> Do we have to get down on our knees and beg?
>
> Aw, give me a break.
>
> Andrei

<rant>

Have you even looked at Tango? Have you seen the amount of effort that
the team has put in? Do you understand what it means for the success of
D as a real world language?

Do you realize that over the past week, you've been repeatedly ignoring
and belittling one of the most code productive and prolific library
writers in the D community?

Do you understand that he has real life issues with the way D is
specified and implemented that affect the most coherent library effort
we have, of which he is (along with Sean Kelly) the primary code
contributor?

Do you comprehend that as you seem to have the ear of Walter in language
design decisions, kris necessarily must come to you to try and
understand said decisions?

For Bob's sake, have some respect for who this man is. Try and be open
minded about his concerns.

If you are interested in D being a language that can solve problems for
"practical" people, start listening to kris, and stop using D as your
personal vehicle for language research.

</rant>

All that aside, I do respect you for the contributions I know you have
made in C++ land and here in D land. I hope you continue to enjoy D and
contribute your considerable help in its design.

However, I do believe that you should take a step back and realize the
context in which you are discussing.