The DeRailed Challenge

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 16:24:37 PST 2007

Brad Anderson wrote:
> Robby wrote:
> I agree, and don't like the DeRailed name.  It would serve no purpose any
> longer, if the project were to far surpass RoR in feature/function/acceptance.

In addition to this, there is the 'mainstream acceptance' problem.  Most
business folk would be reluctant to something like "the gimp", "dapper
drake" or "estupido" as a publically visible name.  Not necessarily that
they don't get the humor aspect, but the basic fact of business is that
you need to interface both with people who have or 'get' your sense of
humor and those who don't.  You simply can't afford to cut out the
second group.

"Ruby on Rails" is an upbeat name, 'DeRailed' is a cool name to people
like me, but would implies a 'failed project' to a lot of people,
unfortunately.  This won't be important to CIOs, but it will be
important to marketing and would probably keep someone like Chase
Manhattan from ever putting a "powered by derailed" sticker on their
website.

(For that matter, if someone I didn't know at a party asked me how I did
a painting, I would say "the gnu image manipulation program" and
probably not mention the acronym.)

Kevin