DeRailed DSL (was Re: compile-time regex redux)

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Sun Feb 11 05:27:26 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I know from these messages it seems that all we talk about is
>>> metaprogramming, but actually most of our discussions (and most of
>>> Andrei's work on D) are about filling in mundane gaps in the
>>> language, like the lack of a proper const.
>>
>> Ehm. Somehow I thought it's actually interesting. Reminds me of Tom
>> Sawyer's neighbors painting the fence for him :o).
>
> It's mundane in the sense that if we do it right, like the foundation of
> a house, nobody will notice it. If we do it wrong, it'll be front page
> like the crane that fell over last month and sliced through a high rise
> condo.
>
> I couldn't be in this business if I didn't enjoy the mundane details <g>.

It's interesting to me that the features I requested back around DMD
0.135, which made elementary metaprocessing of strings possible, were so
mundane  --- "abcd"[2..4] being exactly equivalent to "bc", for example.
It seems to me that some other languages (*cough* C# *cough*) have tried
to reach for the flashy stuff without getting the mundane things right.
Mundane is good.