RoR, Judge Judy, and little old ladies

BLS Killing_Zoe at web.de
Mon Feb 12 07:22:06 PST 2007

Hi Andrei,

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) schrieb:

> Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. My understanding of the mechanism is
> the following:
>
> 1. The app runs a SQL-to-target-language parser to build an idea about
> the database.
>
> 2. The database folk changes the database in any number of ways. This is
> not a process that automatically notifies the target language application.
>
> 3. The target language application must undergo some change to
> accommodate the change in the database.
>
> I did DB/financial work in 1998. This scenario was a total bitch because
> we didn't have small and fast test cases for all logic code to run when
> the database changed. Basically it was the customer (financial analysts)
> who let us know when something bombed, and they actually got so used to
> it that they even weren't pissed anymore.
> Andrei

I understand and I know about the problem. Due to the fact that this is
a serious task, which should not be answered (like before) within a
simple statement, and the fact that I am not used to think and argue in
english, requires that I have to write down my thoughts in german first
and to translate them later. This may take a while, I hope you understand.

Allow me a few WHYs
WHY a datastore called database has such an influence/impact  on
consumer applications, f.i. your Software ? I mean a database should be
a Black Box ONLY accessable through your application by using a public
key in the sense of (PGP)... Your Application should master the database
and not vice versa.

Since about 24 years I am in the database business and I have seen only
one implemantation which keeps you away from this kind of trouble, let
me quote /
Suneido has an integrated client-server relational database. The
database is accessed via a language which includes administration
requests and update operations as well as actual queries. The query
language is based on the relational algebra language in An Introduction
to Database Systems by C.J.Date.
/

D is young and refreshing: So WHY not implementing this kind of DB
System in D ?

Since I know that you are very busy I hesitate to offer you a this link
  but I think you will find some very interesting information worth
spending a few minutes...
http://www.suneido.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=1

Further. a big step
I could imagine that it could be a matter of interest to port the new
MINIX  kernel into D having a DB system instead of "journaling file
system"  (Beside, still wonder why this kind of filesys. is not allready
reality) Why not doing  that in D ? This is indeed a  vision and as our
old german chanceler "Helmut Schmidt" says : People having visions
should see a doctor really quick.

Bjoern
I am convinced that having a builtin database support (however
implemented) within a new language is simply needed, or can you imagine
only a single simple application which does not deal with data  ?

OkeeDokee, I have to answere to your concrete question