Super-dee-duper D features

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Feb 12 08:48:16 PST 2007

janderson wrote:
> Note: I'm not arguing that meta-programming should be higher priority
> then say reflection.  I'm just arguing that its just an extension to
> what programmers do on a day-to-day basis.

But metaprogramming *gives* reflection (as even you and others discussed
recently). The half-assed way to do reflection is to have the language
implementer sit down and define the run-time reflection mechanism. The
full-assed way is to define compile-time reflection, to then allow
people to define and refine run-time reflection mechanisms as libraries,
in addition to many other useful libraries! It's like in the fish vs.
fishing parable.

> I also think it will be a while before we will realize the full
> potential of DSL.  Like anything else they should be used with care.

There's one way to find out :o).

Andrei