Super-dee-duper D features

janderson askme at me.com
Mon Feb 12 09:07:11 PST 2007

 > janderson wrote:
 >> Note: I'm not arguing that meta-programming should be higher
priority then say reflection.  I'm just arguing that its just an
extension to what programmers do on a day-to-day basis.

 > But metaprogramming *gives* reflection (as even you and others
discussed recently). The half-assed way to do reflection is to have the
language implementer sit down and define the run-time reflection
mechanism. The full-assed way is to define compile-time reflection, to
then allow people to define and refine run-time reflection mechanisms as
libraries, in addition to many other useful libraries! It's like in the
fish vs. fishing parable.

I agree but its like the stl vectors.  I'm unsure weather it just is
easier to have that kinda thing in the language because it already has
much of that information.  Also to write a reflection program that
doesn't require wrapping each and every call you'd need to write a fully
fledged D phaser which may become out of sync with the compiler.   I'm
undecided on this matter.

 >> I also think it will be a while before we will realize the full
potential of DSL.  Like anything else they should be used with care.