Super-dee-duper D features

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Feb 12 10:43:53 PST 2007

> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure it's the syntax.
>>
>> And the recursion.
>> People just don't naturally think recursively.
>>
>> And the lack of mutable data structures.
>> OCaml tried to fix that, but OCaml's probably always going to be niche
>> as well (see first point).
>
> LISP does have mutation.

Ok. My bad.

> Besides, many people naturally think
> recursively,

The statement was about why LISP is never going to be wildly popular.
There may very well be "many" people who naturally think recursively,
but if they're not a majority then that's a hurdle to LISP becoming popular.

> and many problems (e.g. parsing) can be easiest thought of
> that way.

Sure.  However, you can write recursive algorithms in most any
procedural language to handle those naturally recursive tasks when they
come up.   With Lisp or <my-favorite-functional-language> you're pretty
much /forced/ to look at everything recursively.  And I think that makes
joe coder nervous, thus presenting a major hurdle to any functional
language ever becoming truly popular.

My point is just that I don't think syntax is the *only* thing that's
prevented lisp from becoming wildly popular.  If that were the case then
the answer would be to simply create a different syntax for Lisp.
(Actually, according to someone's comment here
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1998
it's been done and it's called Dylan, another not-wildly popular
language).  So I think the problem is more fundamental.

--bb