Super-dee-duper D features (possible resolution?)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Feb 12 12:01:32 PST 2007

kris wrote:

> Of course, the trick would be to find a reasonable tripping point where
> the abuse-potential starts to require some serious respect; like the
> vehicle noted above. However, it could be done; perhaps with a 'level'?
> I understand you're not crazy about switches and so on, but please
> consider it ... it could potentially be responsible for alleviating
> adoption fears. That's a pretty darned powerful switch.

I think this is a very good idea, and if some reasonable means of
implementing it could be found then it might actually aid D's adopting
in conservative circles without prohibiting powerful meta features from
being added.

What fuels my concern is that because the new mixin/import features are
so general, it is as easy to envision horrors rivaling the worst of C
macro code as it is to envision elegant and practical applications.  I
suppose this is why I've been kind of hoping an alternate solution would
present itself :-)  I think the general idea is fantastic, but these are
the first features in D that I might actually be inclined to prohibit in
certain development environments.  The potential for abuse undermines a
lot of what appeals to be about D: elegance, clarity, etc.  At the same
time, I'm excited about the direction in which things are progressing.

Sean