RoR, Judge Judy, and little old ladies

Robby robby.lansaw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:23:47 PST 2007

> Robby wrote:
>> Also, in my opinion the best part about trying to compete with
>> technologies in problem domains allows you to open your eyes about
>> some improvements that may help D as a whole. Consider some of the
>> things that Ruby does to make it so easy, reflective abilities,
>> dynamic generation and runtime type information.
>>
>> Now obviously D isn't going to turn into a dynamic language, but
>> exposing such traits that D could help a static typed langauge
>> approach could help us all in the end. - such as runtime type
>> information.
>
> Definitely. RTTI and reflection are good to have will probably make it
> in D (as I mentioned, as a couple of the many applications of static
> introspection). The runtime code generation issue is much more
> problematic, so a alternative approach is to do compile-time generation
> for select modules. Running the compiler to generate code will be not
> much slower than running the interpreter of a competing language. The
> advantage is that the resulting code will be easier to make correct and
> faster.
>
> Let me put it this way. If all you need to do is recompile a couple of
> modules when the database schema changes (a process that is easy to
> automate), then this might be more attractive than a scheme that does a
> lot of busywork at runtime to adapt itself dynamically to a structure
> that seldom changes, and to fail "late" when inconsistencies in the code
> are revealed.
>

> Andrei
Yeah, fair enough.
I mentioned something similar in the DeRailed thread and posted a very
very rough draft[1] how something could work with D's implementation
now. And now that I think about it further, that very setup could even
use the new mixin/import features.

What I'm currently working on is using derelict's loader setup and
porting sqlite to use it, this way I'm not confined to where the
sqlite.dll is on windows (ugh), then I'm going to start working on
DeActive using sqlite as a test bed.

I'm actually not looking at this whole thing from a RubyOnRails
perspective, but for now, from a ActiveRecord perspective. I want a nice
ORM setup for a gui app I'm working on, and in turn an ORM to keep track
of my poker hands + backtesting for my poker bot. I just happen to have
extensive experience through my old job on RubyOnRails and its implemention.

[1]http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/DeActive