Food for thought

Robby robby.lansaw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 13:33:27 PST 2007

The implementation of array methods to me is one of the sexiest, and yet
quietest features of D. Probably do to the duh factor, but none the
less. (any method that has an array as the first argument can use a
shortened syntax)

how much machinery would it entail to make this avail to all basic types
instead of just arrays? To me this would really allow me (and I'm
assuming others) to improve readability of the code written, and while
all basic types aren't object based, it allows us to treat them as
objects in code. Or even treat them as if they were a struct (similar
representation to C#'s basic types as struct idiom.

consider a character example
bool isLower(char c)
{
	if ('a' <= c && c <= 'z')
		return true;
	return false;
}
While it's just as easy to have isLower('a') the readability comes in
with 'a'.isLower()

And if the methods could be treated as properties we could have
something similar to
5.sqr (though I'd be just as thrilled with 5.sqr())

So I'm asking, since there is base implementation for the machinery for
arrays, how hard would it be to implement the machinery for all basic types?

Is there any side effects to this I'm not thinking of?

Would it be fair to consider that the compiler can optimize such cases?