Eof - to return or to throw?

Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) benoit at tionex.removethispart.de
Mon Feb 12 22:21:11 PST 2007

Reaching the eof is not an error, it is the expected behaviour.
An exception shall only be thrown as an "exception", right?
I think, a program shall not go through catch blocks in the normal case.

An exception can lead to a big overhead (gathering data for stack
trace?) or while debugging one might break at the next throw at 4 symbol.

To catch programming errors, ignoring the EOF symbol, we can throw the
Exception if the read function is called again.