resurrecting Bud and Rebuild

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Feb 13 09:08:17 PST 2007

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> No paths at all will be allowed in the import string. They'll have to
>> be supplied via the -Jpath command line switch. It's probably more
>> conservative than necessary, but:
>>
>> 1) introducing host system dependent path separators makes the source
>> code non-portable
>
> Don't all systems in any amount of use these days accept '/'? (Yes, that
> includes Windows)

Sort of.  The windows command shell is supposed to, but it's not usable.
  For example "cd /" doesn't change to the root directory and "more
/autoexec.bat" won't dump the contents of that file to the screen.  But
we're talking about path separators in source code anyway, and '/' has
been accepted by compilers for as long as I can remember.

Sean