phobos/tango on win32: please drop ANSI "support"

Lionello Lunesu lio at lunesu.remove.com
Wed Feb 14 03:23:54 PST 2007

Both Phobos and Tango pretend utf8 is valid for calling ANSI methods
from the Windows' API. Obviously, it's not. The correct way is to
convert the utf8 string to the code-page expected by the call, or
convert them to unicode.

I'd like to suggest the latter. Let's drop the ANSI support for Win32
altogether. Unicode is supported since Windows 95 OSR-2 (if I'm not
mistaken) and converting utf8 to ANSI is more expensive than converting
it utf8 to utf16 (which is what Windows 2000 and up convert to
internally anyway). No more "bool UseWFuncs". And converting utf8 to
utf16 using MultiByteToWideChar would also take care of the 0-terminator.

There, I've said it.

L.