Super-dee-duper D features

Nicolai Waniek no.spam at thank.you
Wed Feb 14 11:13:43 PST 2007

janderson wrote:

> What about using it for files that you are going to load at runtime
> otherwise? XML ect...?
>
> -Joel

to load the file instead of 1 second if it was "loaded during
compilation", that would be an argument for something like that - but I
guess this won't be the case in most projects.

With your example: If you define something like that for compile time,
it won't make it possible to change this dynamically, e.g. with a
configuration file. If you write a super-D-duper library that loads file
xyz and converts it to zyx, you won't want to sell the code (if it's not
open source) so this possibility won't even fit to your business...

So, if "a" stands for "easy to learn, easy to use, fixed language" and
"b" for "hard to learn because of dynamic language extension" you might
get something like this for "not using mixins and that kind of stuff":

and the following, if you use them:

Well I have to admit that there are some real good and well thought-out
examples on how to reasonably use the new language features, but there
will be more examples on how to _not_ use them. and the latter ones will
be the ones with which we will have to struggle - and I don't want to
struggle when programming, it usually is a joy! (and that's why I don't
want to code in C++).