overloading operators for I/O

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Feb 14 14:42:56 PST 2007

Manfred Nowak wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote
>> You see some code:
>>
>>      x = a + b;
>>
>> and what do you think? I think "add a and b, assign the result to
>> x"
>
> What one thinks depends on the education.

Of course. I assume here a computer programming background, where the
conventional meaning is, well, conventional. We can relate this to the
Lisp thread here, where (1- x) means x-1. The unconventionality of the
Lisp syntax makes it a hard sell.

> Please be aware that also D currently breaks your thinking:
>
>   x = b;
>
> can currently assign a value to b. This contradicts your statement
> above.

I disagree, because this is in the context of computer programming, not
abstract algebra. C++ stands out alone in its use of << for such, and is
therefore unconventional.