Super-dee-duper D features

janderson askme at me.com
Wed Feb 14 19:40:11 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Nicolai Waniek wrote:
>> janderson wrote:
>>> What about using it for files that you are going to load at runtime
>>> otherwise? XML ect...?
>>>
>>> -Joel
>>
> On the other hand, that doesn't mean you need import to do it.  You can
> always write an external tool too 'stringify' a data file.  In fact
> that's exactly what I did:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/luigi/browser/trunk/luigi/wrapres.d
>
> The new import makes much (but not all) of the functionality of that
> converter unnecessary.
>
> --bb

Stringify won't work for scripting or network mapping.  The number of
libraries that I've seen that compile down to C++ to get around its
limitations illustrate how useful this feature will be.  If its not
provided you've got more problems when dealing with these libraries.
Admittedly I probably see more examples because of the industry I work in.

-Joel