Compile time function execution...

Russell Lewis webmaster at villagersonline.com
Fri Feb 16 08:14:39 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Russell Lewis wrote:
>> But here's my question: How do we have a compile-time switch which
>> controls what to compile-time evaluate and what not?
>
> It's not necessary. The context completely determines what to
> compile-time and what to run-time.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I understand how your design works.
(And I think it's a pretty good one.)  But what I'm saying is that
somebody might want to write code like this:

	int i;
	version(debug)
		i = eval!(MyFunc());
	else
		i = MyFunc();

Perhaps they want to do this because MyFunc() is still being debugged,
or because MyFunc() takes a while to do compile-time function execution.

How would one write a cleaner syntax for this?  I'd like so see
something like:

	int i = exec_compile_time_on_release_build!(MyFunc());

but I'm not sure how one would code it.