* bogus codegen with static opAssign() usage *

kris foo at bar.com
Mon Feb 19 09:44:07 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
>     a = b;
>
> is replaced with:
>
>     a.opAssign(b);
>
> not:
>
>     a = a.opAssign(b);
>
> The return value of opAssign comes in to play with:
>
>     c = a = b;
>
> which is rewritten as:
>
>     c = a.opAssign(b);

Doh! Doh! Doh!

My bad; I saw this elsewhere and just assumed it would operate correctly.

The syntax, however, is very clean. Importantly, it supports the
unification or /centralization/ of all those 'new' invocations. I'd go
so far as to say such a syntax could represent a bridge between OO and
scripting:

----
String s = "mystring";
----

----
File f = "/foo/bar.d";
----

----
Regex r = "^(.*)$";
----

There's a fairly wide range of simple applicability for this kinda'
thing. Would be great if static opAssign() could support this, or some
other operator were enabled?

How about it?