* Win32 issues with Templates and Libs *

kris foo at bar.com
Tue Feb 20 13:11:26 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> kris wrote:
>
>> Would you perhaps explain why ELF does not have this problem? Thanks
>

> The ar format doesn't care if there are multiple definitions of the same
> symbol. The linker just picks one (presumably the first one it finds)
> and pulls in that module along with whatever else happens to be in that
> module.

For whatever reason, that approach appears to work quite effectively?

The problem here is that one cannot currently build a production quality
lib where templates are involved. It's not reasonable or feasible to
expect a user to understand and compensate for the issues involved, nor
is it entirely feasible to construct the lib in such a manner that the
rather delicate balance is maintained. We wish it were.

The reality problem is this: the more extensive the lib, and the more
use it makes of templates, the fragility of it appears to increase
exponentially. As does the difficulty of reverting that fragility.

At this time, it is just not possible for us to construct a reliable
Tango.lib which, given our collective D 'expertise', seems entirely bogus :)

Can you resolve it in some reliable and user-friendly manner?