* Win32 issues with Templates and Libs *

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Tue Feb 20 14:02:42 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

> Pragma wrote:
>> That raises an interesting question: seeing as how it's using the same
>> backend, how does DMC handle this problem for C++?
>
> Unlike D, a C++ compiler has no idea what templates are instantiated in
> other files. So it instantiates everything. This is one reason why C++
> builds are so much slower than D.

Shouldn't this reasoning make it easier to provide working and efficient
template instances together with libs in D?

Also, on the topic of OMF, you suggested once that OMF was a better format
than ELF? I've yet to see any justification for such a claim, currently it
looks a tad behind the times.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net