Lib change leads to larger executables

kris foo at bar.com
Wed Feb 21 12:36:37 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> kris wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a question is this: why the heck is that symbol exposed from
>> Core, when it should instead be exposed via the TypeInfo class for
>> char[][] instead ... linked via the TypeInfo classes in Object.d? A
>> large number of those are present in every D executable.
>

> The standard TypeInfo's in Phobos cover only basic types and arrays of
> basic types. The rest are generated by the compiler.

Yep, I've seen that to be the case. However, the current strategy
clearly leads to a somewhat haphazard mechanism for resolving such
symbols: in this case, the exe is dogged by a suite of code that it
doesn't want or need ... all for the sake of a typedef init?

Sure, we don't want such things being replicated all over the place, but
I think it has been shown that the current approach is unrealistic in
practice.

Isn't there some way to isolate the typeinfo such that only a segment is
linked, rather than the entire "hosting" module (the one that just
happened to be found first in the lib) ?