Lib change leads to larger executables

Thu Feb 22 08:32:18 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Ideally, perhaps a linker could provide both options: link fast and
> potentially bloat the exe or link carefully (and slowly) for a lean exe.
>  I'd use the fast link for debugging and the slow link for releases.
> Assuming, of course, that the linker were reliable enough that there was
> no risk of changing app behavior between the two.

That might not be the case here: if a module's object file is pulled in,
that module's static constructors and destructors are called at runtime,
right? So if different modules are pulled in with those options,
different static constructors/destructors get called.
(Same goes for unit tests, if enabled, by the way)