TypeInfo and bloated exes - is MingGW toolchain the answer?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Feb 22 16:36:09 PST 2007

It seems to me that the MinGW tools are pretty much the best and only
hope if you are going to abandon OMF and OptLink.

Implementing new object/link tools for existing formats from scratch is
far too much work.  You can also forget about creating a whole new
object format from scratch.  If you're going to replace OptLink it needs
to be with something that exists and is standard.

But there's not a whole lot out there in terms of free code for object
file and library manipulation.  There's OpenWatcom, which also suffers
from being OMF-based, and apparently has more bugs than D's current
tools, and then there's MinGW, which works with MS PE-COFF.

Personally, I don't see why on Windows you'd want to use anything other
than Microsoft's format.  Especially now that you can get their latest
C++ compiler for free.  Intel's super-optimized compiler is also
compatible with this format.  Probably others are as well.

Other than the GPL license, it seems like the MinGW tools have
everything one could hope for.  Is the license the only real problem?

Also -- one thing that I'm not sure about:  Would there be any
difference between the current GDC and a hypothetical DMD that used
PE-COFF and MinGW bintools?

--bb