TypeInfo and bloated exes - is MingGW toolchain the answer?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Feb 22 18:22:19 PST 2007

kris wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> It seems to me that the MinGW tools are pretty much the best and only
>> hope if you are going to abandon OMF and OptLink.
>
> Yesterday, there were strong claims made about the DM Win32 obj-format
> (OMF) being compatible with a number of different linkers. I'm surprised
> it is so hard to track one down?

There were some other tools I saw that use OMF format.  Actually alink
can use both.  And the OpenWatcom tools are using it too.  But aside
from OpenWatcom I didn't notice any *currently supported* tools using
OMF as their main format.   Most of the OMF-using links were to things
for generating 16-bit or MS-DOS compatible programs.  Maybe MS-DOS
support is still important in the embedded world, though?

>> Other than the GPL license, it seems like the MinGW tools have
>> everything one could hope for.  Is the license the only real problem?
>
> Is it 64-bit compliant?

http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml#faq-what
Says it "will be eventually".

I think too many people use MinGW for 64-bit to remain unsupported.
Actually there may be a patch or something floating around because a
search for mingw64 turns up lots of hits.

--bb