Using D, not developing D...

Fri Feb 23 01:16:18 PST 2007

Henrik Harmsen wrote:
> Which version of DMD should I use if I need a stable compiler?
>
> I want to use D for developing an application but I need a stable compiler (as bug free as possible). Will there be a fork into devel and stable? For me, that's necessary.
>
> Maybe the answer is someone else but Walter should pick this up, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

This is why the -v1 switch was added to DMD. It's supposed to preserve
backwards-compatibility to DMD v1.00.
The idea is that you can update the compiler to the newest version
without losing the ability to compile programs that were legal for DMD
v1.00.
So then 'dmd' would be your devel, and 'dmd -v1' the stable.