Using D, not developing D...

Fri Feb 23 03:47:41 PST 2007

kris wrote:
> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>> Henrik Harmsen wrote:
>>
>>> Which version of DMD should I use if I need a stable compiler?
>>>
>>> I want to use D for developing an application but I need a stable
>>> compiler (as bug free as possible). Will there be a fork into devel
>>> and stable? For me, that's necessary.

[snip -v1 explanation]

> Can't do that when the runtime and GC changes -- it was kinda unstable
> for a few releases there, and -v1 won't affect it (obviously)

Yes, that was a problem for a while. But then you could just hold off on
upgrading[1], or if the runtime is still binary-compatible you can use
the old runtime with the new compiler.

[1]: Or revert to the last stable version if you've already upgraded;
the old versions (down to 0.102, sep 2004) are still available from the
site.

And just to be pedantic: he asked about a stable compiler, not a stable
runtime :P.