[OT] Getting Flash to work in Firefox on Linux

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 23 16:42:39 PST 2007

Michiel wrote (in a different thread):
 > kenny wrote:
 >
 >> I don't know about ubuntu, but in gentoo, flash sound wouldn't
 >> work while I was using flash 7. I upgraded to netscape-flash-9 and
 >> everything is hunky dory now. The problem is, your sound device is
 >> being used by something else (lsof | grep /dev/snd). It's because the
 >> old flash used oss, I think, and the new one uses alsa.
 >
 > I wish I could say the same. I run Gentoo and can't get any sound out of
 > Firefox. I already upgraded to netscape-flash-9. I enabled ALSA support
 > and OSS support in the kernel, installed alsa-oss... I'm out of ideas.

I'm (roughly) in the same boat. This seems to be a topic in which quite
some people took interest, so by this I'm starting a new thread.

If anyone has ideas or pointers, please post here - thanks!

Andrei