Lib change leads to larger executables

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Feb 23 17:41:47 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> I see hangs occasionally even for small programs.  Even on single
>> files compiled with dmd -run.  Every time it happens if I Ctrl-C kill
>> it and run the same command again, everything is fine.  Frequency is
>> maybe like 1 out of every 50 compiles.
>
> I've never seen optlink crash except on known cases where there's a
> gigantic amount of static data. If you've got more conventional cases,
> please post a bug report with a reproducible case.

Hmm, well it's not crashing just hanging.  And it may not be optlink but
dmd.  I do all my work on an external usb/firewire drive so that could
be an issue (like optlink waiting for a file lock to be released?).
Also it doesn't happen very often.  Maybe 1 out of 50 is too high an
estimate.  More like once every few days (and I recompile things a lot).

It always works if I Ctrl-C and try again, so a repro will be difficult.

Other possibilities -- I also started using a cmd wrapper called
"Console" about the same time as getting into D, so maybe that could
also be related I suppose. [http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/].
It is a bit flaky at times.

In short it's really not a big issue.  Just something I see
occasionally.  I posted it mostly to see if anyone else was silently
seeing the same sorts of things.  If no-one else has seen this then it's
most likely due to something in my particular setup.

--bb